The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Mi's Italian Bistro, an update

Each time I dine at Mi’s I want to comment that it is not an Italian Bistro (I’ve never had mashed potatoes in Italy), but I look at the menu selections and decide against such a comment.  Maybe it should be a trattoria.  I don’t know.  The bottom line is that the food is always nicely presented, well seasoned and delicious.  The service is always very good and the ambiance is pleasing.

During my last visit my guest and I began with a very tasty Shrimp Scampi bathed in a delicious garlic butter sprit zed with lemon.  The large shrimp were placed on crostini and topped with pieces of fresh basil and arugula.  What a great start.  I accompanied mine with a nice glass of Chianti and my guest had a buttery chardonnay.

Our second course provided mixed reviews.  My entrée was a perfectly done thinly sliced Veal Parmesan Picatta placed on a bed of garlic-mashed potatoes.  The serving was garnished with crisp haricot verte and drizzled with a lovely sauce.  The sauce was white wine and butter perfectly complimented with lemon, capers and onions.  A small piece of veal topped with a bit of mashed potatoes and lightly dipped in the sauce was an outstanding taste and texture sensation.  The light Chianti was excellent with this serving, too.

My dining companion was not as impressed with her selection.  She chose the Pappardelle of Beef.  In her opinion, and my sample reflected her determination, the meat was of poor quality.  The texture was too dense and, even with the delicious sauce, had little taste.  The sauce was a Chianti demi-glaze.  The serving was on a bed of very nicely done fat egg noodles.  The course was garnished with perfectly sautéed Alii mushrooms, snow peas, sweet bell peppers and garden onions.  With a better cut of meat this would have been an excellent selection.

We finished our dinner with a rich Flourless Chocolate Torte dressed with a Wailua Chocolate Grenache, which we shared.  This heavy but lovely dessert topped what was a very nice dining experience.  I will certainly recommend and return to this cozy little restaurant in south Kona.

No comments:

Post a Comment