The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

A Style of Travel

I've now been traveling for just about a month around the island of Sicily.  One experience that I would like to share with you is a reflection of the traveling style that I have come to practice.  The event occurred after I'd been traveling for ten days or so.  The day began with a good but small breakfast in a nice, little hotel in Marsala.  On that specific day I had decided to head southeast to the small seaside city of Sciacca, which was well known for a specific type of dining experience.  Also, I had noticed that the drive to Sciacca had the possibility of seeing some beautiful scenery.  So, this is my story...and I'm sticking with it...

"The town of Mazara del Vallo was behind me.  I was on my way to Sciacca for a lovely lunch of Gamberoni con Conza.  There was plenty of time so I decided not to drive the faster strada statale but to follow back country roads.  A few kilometers beyond Campobello di Mazara I rounded a bend in the road, began up a small knoll and at the top of that knoll I came upon a lovely spot.  There, atop the hill, under a large olive tree, was a small stone bench.  I pulled the car into the shade of the tree and, with my bottle of water, I took a seat on the weathered bench.  The seat was very comfortable, gently carved by what may have been centuries of others sitting in this same spot.  The cool sea breeze was refreshing on this warm spring day.  I sipped my water.  My shoulders relaxed as I sank further into the bench.  I felt as though I could nap.  My eyes followed the undulating hills, covered with vineyards and dotted with groves of olive and almond trees, as they seem to roll into the turquoise sea just beyond.  There were occasional spots of bright pink oleander to give a certain color and depth to this beautiful sight.  I listened to the birds and watched them swirl about the clear blue sky.  I languished.  My mind did not wander but became fixed on the beauty of the many shades of nature but, mostly, it focussed on the deep turquoise of the sea.  Finally, I napped.  Hunger awoke me.  I sat up, looking about a bit longer but soon resumed my drive to Sciacca and food."

No comments:

Post a Comment