The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Il Cascinale Nuovo di Isola d'Asti

It is interesting how each restaurant is so distinctive.  This eatery was in the country and not so far from a major highway.  The building, surrounded by gardens, appeared to be a relic of the Fascist era architecture.  The stark facade of brick and cement was far from inviting but gave way to a nice dining experience and a fortunate encounter.

The dining area was al fresco and the restaurant accoutrements were as stark as the building.  However, the menu was varied and the wine list was large so, why not?  As is the habit in Italy, I was served a glass of sparkling wine and a tray of delicious tasters.  The service was very attentive and the background music was interesting.

My fellow diners included a table of four men, a Russian, an English speaker of unknown origin and two Italians.  It was obvious they were working out some sort of business as the English speaker relayed details between the Italians and the Russian.  The bits I caught were quite entertaining.  Across from me was a single woman who spoke fluent Italian but, when she was asked by the chef, visited a table of Americans and spoke perfect English.  As it ends up, she was my "fortunate encounter."  Fortunately, the American were behind me and did not enter into this dining experience.

From the wine list I selected a 1999 La Spinetta (I like this vineyard) Vigneto Gallina Barolo di Chinato Cocchi Cappellano.  This was a big wine, very dry and a nicely smokey aroma with a dark berry taste.  I allowed the wine to open as I finished the tasters and enjoyed a ball of fresh mozzarella resting in a small bowl of tomato bisque topped with a fresh basil leaf.  This was very colorful and quite tasty.

Dinner began with a "Carpaccio di Dentice gocce di Profumie Colori del Mediteranee."  This was a thinly sliced white fish highlighted with dollops of basil and red pepper puree and completed with a spritz of citrus.  While my wine did not match but was left to open more fully, this taste was very nice and refreshing.  It was a beautiful presentation for such a delicate dish.

Second came the "Ravioli di Ombrina alla olio extravergino Maurizio Menichetti."  A nicely presented serving, although the top was a bit crusty(i.e., hard) and the sauce was a bit fishy.  However, below the first layer of pasta the dish was soft and elegant.  It was as though the dish had waited under the warmer for too long.  Despite this being a tuna dish the relatively light wine complemented it well.  The dinner was beginning to take shape.

The dinner finale was "Piccione di Cascina Disossato all'uvia nero."  This was a serving that perfectly matched my wine.  It was the first time for me and pigeon.  It was a peasant surprise.  The meat was firm but tender with a pleasant "gamey" taste.  The broth for the sauce was very rich and the roasted potatoes were perfectly done.  As is my habit, a taste for me was put together by cutting a small piece of the meat, covering it with the rich broth and then complementing it with a roasted potato.  After each bite was allowed to dissolve on my tongue I would enjoy a large sip of wine.  I have learned to prolong my enjoyment and to realize the many dimensions of each serving.  Ah!  The joy of eating (and drinking).

I had finished my dinner and was lounging over an espresso when I notice that the woman dining alone was writing in a tablet.  I leaned forward and asked, "Scusi, scrittore?" (excuse me, are you a writer?)  In perfect Boston English she say "yes."  I asked if she would like to join me for an after dinner drink.  She joined me and I discover that she was Kerin O'keefe, a well known wine writer and an expert on Brunello wines.  We had a nice, long talk about food and wine and life.  We established what I hope will be a good connection.  Only time will tell but her writings are interesting and, with good luck, we'll meet again somewhere in Europe.

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking with it.  I had a very nice dinner and a very pleasant encounter.  Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment