The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Morning Sensations

The morning light in the Piemonte is quite spectacular but does little to dwarf the San Maurizio's glorious breakfast buffet.  The tables are filled with fruits and pastries and meats and cheeses and breads and juices.  I arose early for Europeans and the Grand Salon, festooned with frescos, was empty of people but full of the aromas from this morning feast.  While the air is filled with aromas, the room stood quiet except for the occasional excited chatter of the Italian staff in the adjoining kitchen.

I took a small breakfast of eggs and meats and cheeses.  A coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice(aranciata) were brought to me.  I took a second aranciata and lounged for a time.  After sufficient basking I strolled about the gardens just outside of the Grand Salon.  The morning air was fresh but it was already warming.  A haze from the heat could already be seen in the distance.  I took a seat on a garden bench.  The view overlooked the rolling hills covered with vineyards.  Many of the hills were topped with small villages surrounding church towers.  The vineyards were dotted with villas of varied sizes.  The villas were not the bright Tuscan yellows but were more light yellows and subdued whites.  Many of the villas were accompanied by several large out-buildings to house what must be necessary for tending the vineyards.  All in sight was pristine.

I could've sat here for quite a time but my thoughts of relaxation gave way to exploring.  This morning was an opportunity to visit Alba and a few of its surrounding villages.  So, off I went to see and to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment