The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Amboise

My return to France was begun with a quite interesting drive through Paris, followed by a very boring drive across central France to the touristy town of Amboise. I wandered down country roads amidst just plowed fields and into the Loire River valley. There, straddling the Loire was my destination and I was happy to settle in for the night. My hotel, Le Choisel, sat just along the bank of the river and, while it was a bit dated, was a lovely old place. I arranged for dinner and settled into my room, which was large but seemed cramped because of all of the ancient French chairs and benches strewn about the place. I decided that some exercise would be good so I took a walk along the river and then through the town center.

Returning to the hotel, I prepared myself for dinner, not knowing quite what to expect. Well, I can tell you that chef Guillaume Dallay provided me with an excellent culinary experience. I was seated at the back of the elegant dining room with a nice view of the Loire rolling by. Light classical music was the background for the hum of the other diners. It was interesting that they were all older and several couples appeared very charming in their interaction with the wait staff and each other. I settled in for an experience different than the others given the ambiance of this place.

Of course, I began with a Campari and soda to cleanse the palate. I decided on the gist of my meal and ordered a 2003 Chateau Larmande from Saint Emilion. This has been my fourth or fifth bottle of red from that area and they have all been superior. A small tray of starters was delivered and I finished my Campari. In a few moments the sommelier delivered and decanted my wine, a first for this trip. He a tually tasted the wine before decanting. Nice.

The first course was a Terrine de Foie Gras de Canard mi-cut au natural, marmalade de Granny Smith au porto rouge et anguille de Loire Fumee. It was beautifully presented and the taste combinations were great. The Foie GRAS with the marmalade coupled with lightly toasted bread was so good. The Foie Gras was like sweet butter. I was very deliberate in my enjoyment.

Next came Aile de Pigeonneau de Racan Roti aux Griottes, Risotto aux ceps de noter region sur Bruschetta de Farce Fine. The cherries with the perfectly done squab was very tasty. The Bruschetta was delicate and tasty. The Risotto was light and an elegant combination for the other portions of this serving. I was so happy.

The cheese course followed and the selection of those presented, there were 23 different local cheeses, helped me to finish my wine. The tasting began with light and finished with nice, strong selections.

Finally came the most amazing dessert. Sphere Chocolate Noir en Chaud-Froid avec Framboises Fraiches Noix de Pecan Creme Glacee a la Vanille. Basically, it was a chocolate ball filled with raspberries and ice cream. After the ball was presented they poured warm chocolate over it to melt the ball. How did they do that? It was so good! Chocolate melting chocolate over raspberries and vanilla ice cream. OMG!

I sipped a coffee and tried to gather my composure. When I got back to the room, I flopped. I may never eat so well again...until next time. A hui hou.

No comments:

Post a Comment