The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Abbotsford Country House: My Home in the Barossa Valley

I turned south down the main road of the valley and wondered at the juxtaposition of wide-open spaces and lush vineyards.  At one moment it looked like a great winegrowing place and the next it looked like a desert.  I passed into and through the town of Tanunda, a quite clean and well-manicured place.  As the congestion of Tanunda disappeared behind me and I came upon the small village of Lyndoch I became calmer.  I was finally, after three days of driving, near to my first destination.  I passed through the village and, after a couple of kilometers I saw a sign for “Abbotsford Country House.”  I turned down what was at first a paved road but then became gravel.  As the dust billowed behind me I wandered further into the countryside.  Just over a rise I saw, perched on a hilltop, the place I would call home for the next few days.  I turned up the long, curving driveway and then into the parking area.  I turned off the engine, I sat back and I sighed.

At first blush it was the panoramic views that caught my eye.  As I got out of the car it was obvious that this was a very nice compound of buildings appointed with sweeping green lawns and quite lovely rose gardens.  I entered the main building, which houses the owners as well as a spacious parlor and a very nice dining area to check in.  The welcome was so very open and friendly.  This was the perfect place for an old farmer like me.

Now that I have been here for a couple of days I can report on the daily rhythm that I have adopted.  As the early morning light arrives I tend to be awakened by the very faint mooing of the cattle (the B&B is a small cattle farms, too).  After a time, I arise and begin an hour of meditation.  It is a very peaceful time.  Nearing the end of my meditation the sun peeks over the distant foothills and across my room.  As I finish my meditation time the songs of the birds have replaced the cattle sounds, signaling that the day is off to a fine start.  By the time that I’ve showered the breakfast room is open.  Each morning I have been treated to a most wonderful feast and the hosts, Julian and Jane, have been most gracious in sharing their time to tell me about the valley.  After a couple of hours with them I am generally ready for a short nap.  All in all, I have been generally off for wine tasting just before noon.  Each day I have planned to visit three wineries, so my regimen for tastings lasts until late afternoon.  After I have become full of wine I will stop for a late lunch and then return home to decide how I might spend my evening, which tend to be very boring.  So, that is how my first week of vacation has unfolded.

No comments:

Post a Comment