The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Pindari Winery: a fun tasting

Down a long gravel road, far from any other winery, sat the Pindarie Winery. It was not at all quaint, but a new building overlooking its vineyard.  I wandered in, sat at the bar and waited for the young man behind the bar to notice me.  As soon as he caught sight of me he brought over a few bottles of wine.  We exchanged introductions and I explained that I had no interest in white wine.  He took away the whites and we focused on five very nice red wines. Shortly after we began a short, thin but quite jolly fellow came from the back room to stand near my server.  He was very interested in what we were doing, often smiling a very wide smile but not uttering a word.  First I sampled a 2009 Barossa Valley blended wine.  It was a blend of 70% Tempranillo, 25% Sangiovese and 5% Shiraz.  What a wonderful drinking wine it was.  It was light and slightly fruity.  Second came a 2008 Barossa Valley Shiraz.  It was much more full-bodied, a bit more fruity and extremely smooth.  This wine would be great with a nice steak.  Lastly, he brought out three 2008 Black Hinge Reserve Range wines, one with Shiraz grapes, a second with Cabernet and a third with Tempranillo.  The Shiraz was good, the Cab was better, but the Tempranillo was perfect.   I ordered a lamb and quince pie for lunch and settled it with a large glass of the Black Hinge Tempranillo.  Now, I was ready to call it a day.  Fortunately I was not to far from the B&B.  I was napping again within the hour, dreaming of what wonderful adventure tomorrow might bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment