The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

The Barossa Valley

The Barossa Valley is geographically quite small.  The valley’s nearly 60 wineries are contained in an area not more than 60 km long and 30 km wide.  The commercial center, Nuriootpa, is located at the northern end of the growing area.  In the center of the valley is the small town of Tanunda.  Many of the vineyards and most guest accommodations are in or around Tanunda.  Further south are the villages of Lyndoch and Williamstown, which house a few wineries and are much quieter and less congested than the central valley.  To the east of Tanunda is the lovely little village of Angaston, which lies on the cusp of the foothills separating the Barossa and Eden Valleys.

The Barossa Valley in known primarily for growing and producing Shiraz wines, which are red wines.  The Eden Valley produces better white wines.  As it turns out, there are many diverse wine-growing regions in Australia, each of which is best known for a particular type of grape.  As I visit different valleys I will discuss their wine specialty.

During my days in the Barossa Valley I intend to visit 10 boutique wineries, each of which was recommended to me by people who love wine.  As I discover particular wines that I enjoy I shall share that information with you.  Also, as I learn about winemaking and how it is practiced here, I will share that information, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment