The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Rockford Winery: My First Tasting

I am happily sitting in the parlor of the Abbotsford Country House, regarding hills drenched in late afternoon sun, and reflecting on my first day of wine tasting.  While I didn’t necessarily have expectations, the day has been a particularly happy day.

I arose just after sun up.  It was a beautifully colorful early morning.  I sat in meditation for an hour or so and then meandered into the shower.  Shortly before 9 am I departed my room and crossed the gardens for breakfast.  I was greeted by a smiling hostess, Jane, and host, Julian, as well as with a number of breakfast choices.  They suggested that if I were going to do some wine tasting that a hearty breakfast would be best.  I agreed and did, indeed, have a very tasty and hearty meal.  I won’t bore you with the details but, I ate and we chatted about wineries for two hours.  In the end, I was stuffed with food and information.  The entire event wore me out so I wandered back to the room to take a nap.

After my short rest I gathered my materials (maps and such) and headed on down the road.  My first stop was the Rockford Winery, a boutique place off the beaten path.  As with many smaller wineries, their sign was difficult to locate and the buildings were rather innocuous.  It was a very quaint facility on a back road.  At first blush it just looked like a rundown farm.  I was able to catch sight of the place only because of the cars parked along the road.  I parked near the Cellar Door, the Australian term for tasting room, and headed in for a sip or two.  The place was very small and packed with people.  I backed out and waited a bit.  After a few tasters had departed I reentered the tasting area.  Tastings were served along an L-shaped antique wooden bar, which the staff scurried behind to serve the thirsty.  Despite the low-keyed frenzy, the staff was very friendly and extremely well informed.  I noticed that they would patiently take the time that each visitor required to understand and enjoy their sample of this wine or that.  One of the winery managers, Joe, became my leader.  We began with a 2006 Semillon, a nice light and very dry white wine.  At that point I decided, no more white wine tasting for me.  I love red wines and that’s what I’ll taste.  Next came a 2007 Shiraz called Rod & Spur.  It was dry and very oakey with great legs.  This winery ages its wines in French oak barrels.  The next wine was a 2008 Cab called Rifle Range.  This wine was very smooth and, again, oakey.

The wines were fine but not that special.  Joe asked if I’d like to taste one of their special wines.  Now I was the only one in the tasting room.  Joe reached under the counter and came up with a bottle of “Black Shiraz”.  It is blended with the same varietal over several years.  This particular batch had an average age of 7 years and the oldest grapes were 20 years old.  The taste was spectacular.  I asked if they’d ship to America.  He said yes but that the cost was very high ($300/case).  I decided to purchase a bottle for more extensive sampling.

Next Joe asked if I like to sample a special fortified wine that is not normally sampled.  I smiled and again he reached under the counter.  This time he produced a 2003 Shiraz Vintage Port.  One taste and I thought, if it continues like this today will be a very long day.  I convinced him to give me another taste.  I love port and this one was special.  I asked if I might purchase a bottle.  He smiled and we headed for the cash register.  What a superior first experience.  I lounged in a great old place visiting with some very friendly and knowledgeable people, tasting spectacular wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment