The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Deliciousness

It may not be a word but it describes perfectly my feelings after being served the dish I am about to revisit in my mind and my salivary glands.  I have had Gnocchi at this, my favorite local restaurant, many time but this visit was very special.  I'd finished my appetiser of Saint Andre Cheese topped with a dried Black Mission Fig, accompanied by a couple of toasted almonds and placed on a piece of thinly sliced Crostini.  I sat with my glass of Pinot and waited patiently.  When the dish arrived the aroma caused my hand to immediately move to my spoon.  Yes, I eat this with a spoon so that I don't miss one drop of the sauce.  With my weapon at the ready I dove in.  My first bite was a piece of Gnocchi covered with Sherry Cream Sauce and accompanied by a piece of Pattipan Squash.  I held it in my mouth for a few moments before I began to chew very slowly.  I can taste it now.  I can feel the textures.  The second bite contained a piece of perfectly Braised Ulu (breadfruit for the uninitiated) paired with a piece of Hamakua Mushroom.  The crisp Ulu with the soft Mushroom cupped in the creamy sauce was just beyond words.  And so in went until each morsel was consumed.  A bite with the smooth, creamy Gnocchi and the crisp Ulu was especially memorable.  I combined the dish's contents, which include handmade Gnocchi, Hamakua Mushrooms, Hawaiian Pumpkin (crispy on the outside and buttery on the inside), Pattipan Squash, Zephyer Squash, braised Ulu, oven-roasted New Potatoes, Sugar Snap Peas all in a Sherry Cream Sauce and garnished with fresh Parmesan, to construct many savory bite with varied tastes and textures.  It was truly an outstanding dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment