The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Paolo's in Pahoa...it's Italian...so is Paolo!

Pahoa is a dumpy little town just a short drive from Hilo.  It is a throwback to the '60's and so are most of the people who live there.  However, if Paolo decides to open the restaurant then it is worth the drive.  He is a real "Tuscan" and with freshly made pasta every day (pasta fresca) he creates some culinary delights.

My dinner began with an excellent Cippino filled with tender seafood and al dente vegetables served in a rich fish stock broth.  The fish was firm and rich.  The clams were succulent.  The squid was tender.  The serving was enormous and would have been a meal, but I was determined to have "pasta fresca".  However, I must admit to consuming each drop of the soup's savory broth.

I selected a spectacular "ink-squid" linguine style pasta with a puttenesca sauce.  The sauce was perfectly spiced and the pasta was cooked to perfection.  I would roll a bit of the tender pasta on the front of my fork and then I would scoop a good sized portion of the sauce on the rear of the fork.  The combination of texture and spice made a perfect tasting with each bite.  I was a happy camper as I rolled out of Paolo's for my drive back to Hilo.  This is a place I hope to visit more often...it's been 10 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment