The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Cafe Sacher, Innsbruck

This ancient and very elegant café, located in the Imperial Palace, was the perfect place to celebrate an equally ancient German tradition, “Kaffee und Kucken.”  So, there I sat in the early afternoon amidst delicate linens and fine china to enjoy a brief respite from my hectic travel schedule.

For the last 175 years this café has been serving a very rich and very delicious chocolate cake, the “Sacher-Torte”.  As I addressed my serving I proceeded very slowly.  At the side of the cake was a very large dollop of whipped cream.  I would take a small fork full of cake and pass it lightly through the whipped cream, then hold that bite in my mouth for a time to just let it dissolve.  I would place the tiny fork on the side of the plate and take a breath.  If I had been watching myself I believe that I would have detected a slight smile.  It was so good.  The chocolate icing had just a hint of cherry, which further enhanced the smooth flavor.  After every few tastes I would sip the double espresso that accompanied my plate of cake.  I do not know how long I basked in the joy of this tradition on this particular day but I believe that “Kaffee und Kuchen” is a very nice tradition.

At the end of my visit to the Café I strolled outside and commenced my afternoon walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment