The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Friday, October 7, 2011

My First Morning at Locanda del re Guerriero

I lay awake but with my eyes closed.  The bed was warm and comfortable.  I slowly opened my eyes and regarded the enormous ancient beams crossing the ceiling above.  Now backed by a modern, proper ceiling, I wondered for how many tens or hundreds of years those same beams had been covered by thatch.  I closed my eyes and sought a bit more sleep but it would not come.  The morning light from the open window below the sleeping loft began to light the room.  I rested for a moment, then tossed aside the comforter and swung my legs from the bed.  I arose, walked toward the spiral staircase and began to cautiously make my way down the uneven steps.  At the lower living level I walked to the open window and stood full exposed to the cool morning air.  It was refreshing and invigorating.  I dallied, enjoying the early morning sun crossing the meadow below covered by a glistening dew.  Beyond, a light morning haze floated above the plowed fields, giving them a mystical aura.  It was such a lovely sight.  I thought for a time about the day to come in this new place.  A soft smile crossed my face and I turned to take my coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment