The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Returning to Daifukuji

After one month of sleeping in strange beds and 23 hours of “flying home”, it took my body two days to feel somewhat normal.  Finally, on my third day home I returned to the temple.  I maneuvered my pick-up truck into a parking space and looked about for a moment.  The Sangha faithful were gathering for a Sunday service.  I mounted the steps, skirted the main hall and entered through a side door.  The side door let me into the temple office.  Once in that door I came upon a most lovely sight.  Sensei Jiko turned and a warm smile crossed her face.  Her soft voice sent her welcome home as she made a slight gassho.  She moved to me and gave me a gentle hug.  We each smiled warmly and again bowed to each other.  After a short time I departed the office and moved to the main hall.  In the hall there were many smiles of greeting and slight bows.  As was my habit, I took a seat near the rear.  I sat down, then raised my head to cast my eyes upon the alter.  The alter’s golden hues framed by freshly picked flowers and cast in the morning light was breathtaking.  A smile crossed my face.  I looked about the hall, noticing the soft murmur of those gathered.  I thought of the melodious songs and chants to come in the service.  There will be no loud noises but rather the waif of incense.  It was such a peaceful place.  I was so happy to be in its midst.

No comments:

Post a Comment