The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Friday, October 7, 2011

My Drive from Brescia to Trento

I departed Brescia in good order with the intention of avoiding the autostrada for this portion of my drive.  I would take the drive along Lago di Garda in hope of a more relaxing experience.  Well, as luck would have it I made a wrong turn somewhere along the way.  It was not too long before it was obvious that there was no lake about and that I was, instead, heading deep into the mountains.  However, I had a tank full of gas and I was in no hurry.  I decided to see where this road would take me, at least for a while.  The small towns were quaint and the mountains were beautiful.  I was approaching the village of Idro and decided to see where I might proceed from there.  If I went further into the mountains it would be a long drive before I had another opportunity to cross the mountains to the lake.  I decided that Idro would be the best spot to cross to the lake and began my trek across to Gargnano on the lake.  The road from Idro to Gargnano was a very narrow, very winding, very exhilarating road to drive.  In most places the road was wide enough for two cars but not for a truck and a car.  In many places one side of the road was solid rock and the other side was a guardrail to protect from a couple of thousand-foot drop.  Each curve, and there were many, was a mystery.  With that said, I loved the drive.  It was beautiful but I was happy when the roadway widened and I could actually see the scenery.  It took quite a long time to cross those mountains but the drive down to the lake was indeed spectacular.  The drive along the lake toward Trento was crowded and hectic, so I was happy that I had the detour.  I stopped for a nice lunch in Vezzano and then headed for the hotel.

No comments:

Post a Comment