The Dining and Travel Adventures of a wandering Buddhist

Living in the culinary "now" with no attachment.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Osteria La Grotta, Brescia

This quaint, older restaurant is well away from the center of the city.  During my visit there were only local businessmen and a few older local couples.  The ambiance was very nice and the owners/staff were extremely friendly.

There was a varied menu but I followed the owner’s recommendations.  I was very happy with his selections.  I had a mezzo of the house wine, a full-bodied red, and munched on bread sticks until he delivered my first course.

First was the “Casoncelli al “Bagoss” con Burro e Salvia”.  This ravioli filled with the local “Bagoss” cheese was simply outstanding.  The pasta was fresca.  The cheese was delicious.  The preparation was very delicate and the sauce was very rich.  I spent a long time enjoying the wonderful dish.

Second was “Fiandre di Puledro Marinate in Olio Extra Vergine di Oliva”.  This was a culinary adventure for me.  It was my first time to eat horse or pony.  I like culinary adventure but I was skeptical.  The meat was a very thin slice that had been marinated in olive oil, lightly cooked and dressed with lemon and parsley.  I was very happy to have this adventure.  The meat was very good.  It was tender and, despite being a thin slice, was moist.  I fear I shall never look at a pony in the same way.

Accompanying this serving was a large garden salad comprised of fresh lettuces and vegetables with an excellent, light dressing of garlic infused olive oil.  This was an excellent lunch in a very comfortable setting.  This is a place I hope again to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment